From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Oct 2005 11:42:55 -0600
> Due to the advent of the mites much later, term has since been redefined
> to include the removal of parasitic mites etc.

Apparently, but when and by whom?  How does an change become official, and
where does this redefining end?

How does one go about changing the meaning of a commonly used word that has
a specific meaning?

In law, words have very specific meanings, and I had assumed so in science.

In law, words can change over time, but only through well-defined
processes -- AFAIK. (I'm not a lawyer  -- or a scientist.).

allen

Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all.
            -- William Goldman, "The Princess Bride"