ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kirsten Ellenbogen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2006 14:55:15 -0500

As Janet said earlier, Science on a Sphere is here at the Science
Museum of Minnesota. It will be on display in the former Visible
Paleo Lab, as a stand alone exhibit  into summer 2008.  It then will
get incorporated into the new Water Planet exhibition in fall 2008.
(And then begin a national tour in fall 2009.) Pat Hamilton, Bette
Schmit, and the Water Planet team are doing quite a bit of
prototyping with SOS over the next year or so to figure out the best
ways to allow visitors interact with the sphere (i.e., without a
staff-led demonstration).

In 2004, Maryland Science Center had RMC Research Corporation conduct
a front end study of the visitor experience with SOS during staff-led
presentations (they actually had science center staff and NOAA staff
lead presentations). The appeal rating from visitors was very high.
98% of visitors - across age groups - rated SOS as either very good
or excellent. The length of time visitors were willing to spend
listening to the presentation was extraordinary. Presentations lasted
40 minutes, and the majority of the visitors stayed from beginning to
end. If you're interested in getting more detail about this study
Roberta Cooks is probably the best person to contact: [log in to unmask]

We conducted a front end study here at the Science Museum of
Minnesota to find out more about the unfacilitated visitor
experience. We used a standard set of four NOAA-provided images
(e.g., Blue Marble, Earth at Night...) with voice over. The "show"
lasted 6 minutes and 55 seconds and looped continuously. We found
that the median stay time for visitors was 3 minutes. That's a long
time for us compared to other video based presentations, or even our
interactive software. When asked what they found most interesting,
40% of the visitors mentioned something related to do the technology
(e.g., "it looks like its floating," " you always see maps on the
wall, but this is something you can walk around") which is similar to
the responses the Maryland study got to a similar question. The
second and third most common responses we got were related to
visualization of the earth ("how earth looks from outer space") and
the affective experience ("I'm here, I'm somewhere in this world.")
We also asked specific questions about what the visitors thought they
were seeing for each of the four images as we are trying to figure
out the best ways to help visitors understand complex satellite
images. One of the confusing quirks of SOS is that visitors are not
sure where they should stand (particularly as the voice over directed
visitors to "walk to the other side" at one point). Unless you have
staff on hand to say - walk over here to see the wild fires or stand
there to see the hurricane - you can miss exciting imagery. The team
here is working on a combination of mediation techniques (not staff-
led) to help people know where they need to be to see a
geographically-localized spot on the sphere. Our study showed that
visitors have a strong interest in being able to control the images
that are displayed and being able to display temporary labels to
identify images (more than 90% of visitors rated their desire to do
these two things at 5 or above, on a ten point scale). These desires
are counter to the current design of SOS, but the team here is
working on ways to supplement the sphere with computer kiosks that
allow visitors to "capture" an image from the sphere and interact
with it by adding other layers of satellite imagery or adding
explanatory details.

We'll be working on this over the next two years, and also
coordinating with other folks dealing with public understanding of
satellite images. One of the groups we're collaborating with is Shawn
Rowe and Molly Phipps at the Hatfield Marine Science Center/Oregon
State University. SOS would take up most of the exhibit space at
their institution, so they're studying the public's experiences with
other (smaller) technology-supported exploration of satellite
imagery. We're working on coordinating our studies to see what the
public gains from 3-D experiences with satellite imagery compared to
2-D experiences, as well as the comparative pros and cons of the
various projection technology out there. You can reach Shawn at

Ok, probably far more detail than you wanted, Eric.....

Kirsten

Kirsten Ellenbogen
Director of Evaluation & Research in Learning
Science Museum of Minnesota
120 West Kellogg Blvd.
Saint Paul, MN 55102
Phone: +1-651-221-2560