HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 20:25:38 -0400
I talked to an expert that does this for a living. He said the
following, neither CD or DVD is archive quality.

When DVDs were designed the requirement was that the glue that holds
the layers together had to last three years. And under normal
circumstances it will last at least that long. However, high heat or
humidity can seriously effect longeavity. High heat is especially
bad. In one instance my expert knows of a case where a DVD left in a
mailbox in the SW in the summer completely de-laminated in a matter
of hours.

Ordinary CDs are are probably a worse bet. At this point there is
very little, if any, quality control (but given the price what do we
expect) and a new CD may already have pits/bubbles/holes in the
protective coating which will allow moisture to reach the data
storage part. The thin coating on the back of CDs is the weak point.
Anything that penetrates (and it can be scratched with a finger nail)
that thin layer will allow moisture in and then it is only a matter
of time before the data is lost. Gold CDs are better, but still not
really a good place for an archive.

What companies who really care (advertising agencies, banks, etc.)
use is hard drives that they completely recopy every three years.
What you might want to do is buy a hard drive for archiving and also
backup to DVD. Then store the DVDs in a low humidity and constant
temperature environment. And of course every three years, or whenever
there is a major software change do it all over again. My source also
said to make sure that you use an open platform encoding DVD, not one
specifically designed for graphics. That will better ensure that when
it comes time to retrieve the image you can still read it. also do
not use proprietary encoding. Use a commonly available image form.

There is one format that is archive quality, magneto optical (MO),
they are good for 20-50 years. The only problem is that no one in the
US, except for some specialty firms use them. We all dumped them for
DVD/CD.

My source also said at this point just about nothing beats a good
quality archival hard copy. So much for technology.