From:
Jaye Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 07:56:01 -0700
I also got the e-mail about the National Milk Bank.  I wondered if it was
Prolacta.  Apparently they automatically subscribed me to their 'flyer'
complete with attachments (I did not open).  Gee, do I unsubscribe with a
comment to make a point or do I 'stay-tuned' to stay informed?

So my question is - isn't this a bit unethical to call themselves one thing
and leave out who they really are?  The 'ad' says that NMB is a non-profit
company - making it sound (to the person who doesn't look further) like they
will be collecting, processing and distributing donor milk at NO profit (the
basis of non-profit).  Checking out the web-site however, it is clear that
Prolacta and NMB are working together.  From the media/press release page:
Quote:  A portion of Prolacta's sales profit is given back to NMB to help
subsidize operation costs and support services.  End quote.  I, for one, am
NOT impressed.  It would have been more up-front and honest (IMNSHO) to put
something right on the main page that got sent out that NMB and Prolacta are
working together.  It is only on the ONE page.  C'mon people - make it big
and noticeable.  Otherwise, to me, it just looks like you are trying to hide
your connections - and there is only one reason people/companies try to hide
their connections...

The bottom line is that the idea is great.  Accept donations of breastmilk
from around the country to use for premies and very ill babies who cannot
receive mother's milk.  But, my personal ethics get me going when someone
wants to profit from another's hard labor (and having been a pumping mom I
know exactly what that is all about) with no listed compensation other than
a thermometer for the freezer, shipping labels and containers, collection
containers w/bar-coded labels, instructions for shipping and an electric
breast pump to use for the pumping.  Does she get to keep that pump forever?
What brand is it?  There is NO mention of these details on the website.
Apparently, the payoff to the mom is supposed to be the warm fuzzy feeling
she will get just knowing that she may have helped a sick baby.  While that
is a good feeling this still just doesn't sit right with me.  I know, I know
- it's all about business and the almighty dollar.  Whatever.  Ethics are
ethics - I question those of people or companies who profit like this.

I know that there has been discussion of should people be paid to do this,
is paying women for their milk a good thing, will it take away from the
woman's own baby, etc.  More questions than answers, lots of concern and no,
there are no easy answers.  Where is the effort to truly address these
issues?  I don't see it from this business.  Not on their website at least.
No, lets just get them to donate for free, we'll give them a pump and
shipping labels and boxes, but we'll keep the profit.

I don't have the answers, but I sure have some questions.  I am not inclined
to recommend that anyone donate to NMB at this point in time.  I will
continue to recommend that moms donate to our other truly non-profit milk
banks however.

Just my thoughts and feelings on the subject...

Jaye Simpson, IBCLC, RLC
Former pumping mom who would have never donated to a company who would make
money off my hard work...