From:
Sara Bernard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 09:17:13 +0100
Thankyou Fritzi Drosten for posting this reference. I've just read the
abstract (see below) and it seems like the "all in one" article many of
should carry around in our back pockets. It's certainly going on my "wish
list". For others who are interested, here is the link to the journal and
the abstract:

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/112137010/ABSTRACT
Research Review
Mother and newborn baby: Mutual regulation of physiology and behavior -  A
selective review
Jan Winberg
Department of Pediatrics, Q208, Karolinska Hospital, 171 76 Stockholm,
Sweden
Funded by:
 Karolinska Institute
Keywords
attachment . bonding . breastfeeding . breast odor . crying . delivery .
lactation . neonatal physiology . newborn . olfaction . oxytocin
Abstract
This article reviews 30 years of work demonstrating that interactions
between mother and newborn infant in the period just after birth influence
the physiology and behavior of both. Close body contact of the infant with
his/her mother helps regulate the newborn's temperature, energy
conservation, acid-base balance, adjustment of respiration, crying, and
nursing behaviors. Similarly, the baby may regulate - i.e., increase - the
mother's attention to his/her needs, the initiation and maintenance of
breastfeeding, and the efficiency of her energy economy through vagus
activation and a surge of gastrointestinal tract hormone release resulting
in better exploitation of ingested calories. The effects of some of these
changes can be detected months later. Parallels to animal research and
possible mechanisms are discussed. © 2005 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Dev
Psychobiol 47: 217-229, 2005.

yours

Sara Bernard BSc, IBCLC
The Netherlands