From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 18:36:07 EDT
In a message dated 26/10/05 23:15:32 GMT Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<<I've never tried it but heard that one can drum on a hive to  make the bees
move upwards.  >>

    I've never done it or seen it done, but according  to old books (ROB
Manley, Honey Farming is useful here) it seems that it  was done in Victorian
times in some areas of the UK as an alternative to killing  the bees when honey
was taken. The drummer would then keep the bees as payment  and sell them on.
Allegedly, these areas are roughly those which have  subsequently suffered from
'runny' bees, as this has not been a useful  characteristic for users of
moveable comb hives.

    Regards.

    Robert Brenchley