From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:37:35 +0200
I thought the report would be ready to refer to by now but there are some
problems with the English summary.
Short version: based on the current epidemiologic evidence there is no basis
on which to make recommendations regarding bedsharing, pacifier use, and
breastfeeding with regard to SIDS risk.  The evidence is not of such nature
or quality that we can infer causality about any of these things, not even
about bedsharing and breastfeeding or pacifier use and breastfeeding.
It is clear that babies should not bedshare with smokers, and that women who
smoke in pregnancy run a higher risk of losing their babies to SIDS.
Despite the fact that we were not investigating smoking as a factor, it was
impossible to avoid the much stronger evidence of a connection there.
I'm going away, nomail, for the next four days and taking Kathleen with me,
so I figure I won't need my flameproof suit.
Hope to have something more substantial for you by next week.  Those who
read Norwegian can read the report on line at www.kunnskapssenteret.no
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway