Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 08:10:19 -0500
<< "Nobody works this hard at breastfeeding...why don't you
just give up?">>

Women hear these hurtful words during childbirth, too. Probably a good
reason why we have a local induction rate of 85% ("You will be begging to be
induced by 36 weeks, but I can do it after 37. Nobody stays pregnant
full-term"), and epidural rate of 95% (this is so painful, let's get you an
epidural so you won't feel the pain") and a cesarean rate of 40% ("This is
just too hard for you. The goal is a healthy baby, not a vaginal birth."

I appreciated Ellen's words (and many others, too). Locally, we have a group
called BirthCircle which is a group of parents who get together once a month
to discuss childbirth, alternatives and breastfeeding. I like it because it
doesn't have the strict parameters that LLL has, but at the same time, the
LLL guidelines are helpful to keep things from straying too far.

Moms cannot get enough support during vulnerable times.

Best wishes,
Heather "Sam" Doak