From:
Margo Trueman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 19:36:06 -0800
Renee - Your e-mail address wasn't a link in the body of the e-mail and I'm
just finishing up e-mails before leaving to take my daughter to Loma Linda
for a week-long stay and major surgery so pardon my posting to the list...
I'm just too lazy right now to add you to my address book so I can address
you off-list.  My LLL group did give away bags.   We actually didn't do them
with the hospital bags b/c we figured many mothers don't bother to go
through the bag they get from the hospital - they're too busy with their new
baby.  We had the local OBs give them out at the 35 week check-up (or
whatever was closest).  They get freebies at the beginning of the pregnancy
and in hospital and this is not a common time for a give-away so it really
got a lot more attention than yet another handout at the hospital.  We don't
do them now as unfortunately we have a new group of OBs who are not very
BF/LLL supportive and they just aren't handing them out.  We're going in to
speak at the childbirth classes and are going to do our give-away bag there
instead.  Here's what I remember we put in them:

* Lansinoh samples (we got these free)
* Breast pads (disposable kind) - also free
* Motherwear catalogues
* LLL tear off sheets (obviously not free but worth fund raising for) - sore
nipples, how to tell if baby's getting enough milk, one other
* meeting notice; our LLL group pamphlet
* one of our group moms made natural soaps so we put one of those in each
bag as a "just for mom" item
* we used our computer and made magnets with the LLL symbol and our warmline
number on it

We went to the dollar store and bought white plastic bags and made LLL
stickers on the computer to put on the bags.

I think there was something else but I can't remember what it was - it's
been 18 months or more since we did this.  The Leaders I was working with at
the time have both retired but are still part of my playgroup so I can ask
them about where we got the samples and if they can remember anything else
we put in the bag.  I'll be in hospital with my daughter from tomorrow until
the 18th but if you send me a note off-list to [log in to unmask] asking
for more information, I'll get it for you after I get back.

Margo Trueman
LLL Leader
AACL (LLL of Southern California/Nevada)