Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 2005 08:08:46 -0500

>Symptoms mainly are stiff and sore joints, especially wrists, fingers,
>ankles, knees and very stiff in the mornings or if in the same position and
>then move again.  (sort of waddle stiffly in the mornings until she can get
>ankles and feet to loosen up).
>
>It started when baby was about 3 months old.  Some days are not so bad then
>the next day can be really stiff and sore. Has been tested for arthritis and
>all sorts of other things but nothing has come up, has been offered a
>referral to a rheumatologist but not keen currently - wonders if all they
>could offer is drugs.  Someone suggested it may have something to do with
>oestrogen/progesterone depletion in system but just a theory at this stage.

I recommend a high quality fish oil. Suggest that she go to a respected
health food store and get fish oil gel caps to supplement Omega 3 essential
fatty acids. The Spectrum brand is reliable and mercury-free. There are
others but this brand is easy to locate.

I am recommending this to my clients who have similar symptoms and to those
with mild depression. There is solid research (from NIH researchers) to
show that the American diet is low in Omega 3s (especially in new mothers
who avoided cold-water fish when they were pregnant and continue to do so
when they are breastfeeding) and that there are many health conditions that
are being caused by this lack.  We have eliminated an important source of
Omega 3s without replacing it with other foods that offer these essential
fatty acids. She *is* probably exhibiting rheumatoid arthritis-like
symptoms which is one result of a lack of Omega 3s. .  If she doesn't find
marked improvement within 3-4 weeks she can seek pharmaceutical treatments,
including NSAIDS.

My clients have had positive outcomes with a treatment of 3 gel caps a day
for two-three  weeks, then dropping to 2 caps.

Another benefit will be the healing light of the sun.  10-15 minutes a day
on face, arms and legs before applying sunscreen will improve her overall
health.  Thanks to the American Cancer Society's recent findings we are
re-learning that safe sunlight exposure is essential to health.

If she chooses to use the supplement and sunlight as a first treatment be
sure to let us know how she does.  I have a lot of experience with these
treatments in work and family and hope that they help your client also.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin