From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:11:20 -0400
Coach Smith here with more on the media attention to the June Journal of
Pediatrics article on SIDS and bedsharing.

I asked Jim McKenna about it. He wrote that "this paper had a hard time
being published because of statistical weaknesses, not the least of which is
not knowing whether or not the babies died while bedsharing, or died at a
time when they were not bedsharing. The methodology asked if babies
bedshared that day, but it is not known if (when they died) they were
actually bedsharing. Some of the babies actually died when they were taken
out of the bed." Jim also observed that "alcohol was not controlled for
either..In other words..every bedsharing death could theoretically have
involved alcohol or drug use! That is likely not the case but certainly it
is likley to be for some. With such a small sample, one infant death can
make a difference statistically." He said that other respected researchers
have also protested this article in print, including a letter to Lancet.

Nikki says I'm an expert on this - perhaps, but only because I've faced this
rabid anti-bedsharing mindset in my own community for almost two years. As a
consequence, I'm determined to read nearly everything that James McKenna,
Helen Ball, Peter Fleming, Peter Blair, Edwin Mitchell, and other scientists
and researchers have written on the subject so I can understand the science,
the politics, and the thinking of those who would assert (incorrectly) that
"all bedsharing is inherently dangerous." NO, IT'S NOT. One more time: the
sober, nonsmoking, breastfeeding mother on a safe surface is NOT a risk to
her baby. Failing to analyze the CONDITIONS of unsafe bedsharing - or even
the definitions of bedsharing and cosleeping - continues to muddy the waters
of honest discussion.

According to the AAP's 2003 campaign, at least 20% of all SIDS/smothering
deaths occur in cribs in child care settings. I don't see headlines stating
that "cribs are deadly risks" or "day care is associated with infant
deaths." Some people drive drunk/drugged and kill people with their cars,
yet nobody tries to stamp out all driving of automobiles. Although some kids
die from head injuries while riding a bike without a helmet, nobody tries to
assert that all bike-riding is inherently lethal. (Try to tell that one to
Lance Armstrong!)

Colleagues, this is NOT a new issue. That it's surfacing again NOW, and with
such vehemence, is probably not a coincidence. Biology, anthropology, social
custom, science, statistics, ethics, and common sense come down squarely on
the "side" of safe bedsharing, which supports exclusive breastfeeding. Of
course we don't want babies to die at night - nor, for that matter at any
other time of day. Of course we don't want babies to die in an adult bed -
nor a crib, cot, carseat, hospital bed, couch or anywhere else for that
matter. The goal of reducing SIDS and smothering deaths is COMPATIBLE with
the goal of increasing exclusive breastfeeding.

My plea to all is to PLEASE read up on the SIDS, bedsharing and related
research, especially research by the above-mentioned scientists. I created
[log in to unmask] for those interested in more in-depth discussion of
this issue.

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC

Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre Ltd

6540 Cedarview Ct, Dayton OH 45459

937-438-9458 / fax 937-438-3229

www.BFLRC.com