From:
James O'Quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:01:05 -0400
Hi Diane,

When breastfed babies eat a lot of solids before the middle of the
second year of life
for me it's a red flag that mother's milk supply is low...

I know many babies seem eager to start solids-
they watch everyone else eating and they reach and grab for it,
but once the get over the novelty of it they don't actually eat a lot
of solids
unless they are HUNGRY because their mother's milk supply is low...

I would ask this mom what her breastfeeding goals are...
Since she worked hard at increasing her supply with a hospital grade
pump
I would think she is pretty motivated...but still her management is so
appalling it makes
me wonder if she is one of those moms who wants to breastfeeed but she
expects it to work
on the way she wants it to work...you've got to get a handling on
whether she is just ignorant
of good breastfeeding management or if she is resistant to it...

Since four nursings is half the recommended minimum for a baby under
six months,
she's got to nurse more...she can be encouraged to take advantage of
the extra prolactin levels at night
by nursing at night...and she needs to be told that night nursing is
necessary for keeping the milk in...
it must be explained to her that even though some babies will gladly
sleep through the night
the brain makes a hormone that works against milk production whenever
breastfeedings
are about four or more hours apart...if she is willing to manage
breastfeeding this way
then you can talk to her about *jump starting* her milk supply
pharmacologically
if that is necessary for getting the baby to go to breast more....
If she is resistant to night nursing there is no point in *jump
starting* her supply...

[The only time I recommend a pump to increase supply is when the baby
has latch/milk transfer problems...otherwise the baby is the best *pump
It seems unlikely at this age (but not impossible) that baby has latch
issues...]

I would stress with the mother that breastmilk (or formula :-() should
compromise the bulk
of the baby's diet in the first year, and too much reliance on
complementary foods
is the number one cause of infant malnutrition...

Please share with us how this turns out,

Jen O'Quinn IBCLC

.