Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 14:54:26 -0500
Well, it certainly makes sense that the largest generation in the US would
coincide with the lowest rates of breastfeeding, and from that large
generation would come another large generation of children!

The b/f initiation rate in 1970 in the US was about 25% (according to
Ross/Abbott labs...). 1990, it was about 50% (again, according to
Ross/Abbott). The obesity rates, according to the CDC, in 1991, 4 states had
rates of 15-19%, and no states had obesity rates above 20%. In 2004, again,
according to the CDC, 7 states had rates of 15-19%, 33 states had rates of
20-24%, and 9 states had rates in excess of 25%. (no data for one state)

Assuming these rates of obesity are related to adults, it would take at
least 20 years to hit this "scale." I agree, Judith. Quite a leap to come to
this conclusion. I think it would have more to do with stuffing a newborn's
stomach with 4 ounces of formula!

Best wishes,
Heather "Sam" Doak

<<I stumbled over this abstract today while looking for something quite
different.  I can't access the full article, but found the abstract pretty
astounding.  Somebody is making QUITE the leap in logic it seems.  Would
love to her from someone who has access to the full article.

Judith
<<snip>>

Conclusion: We hypothesize that non-rule breastfeeding favours the
development of snacking throughout the day during childhood, a habit which
in turn favours the development of obesity.