Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2005 09:04:57 +0000
>I wonder why this mom was pumping at 1 AM to begin with!  So many
>breastfeeding problems today can be directly related to use of pumps.  I
>wish I had time to study the matter further, as I see so many more
>problems - the huge increase in the incidence of mastitis and mastitis
>occuring earlier and earlier in the breastfeeding timeline, for example -
>with the common denominator being inappropriate and unneccessary pump use.
>Have those of you from countries outside the United States noticed this
>phenomenon?  I strongly suspect this is unique primarily to the US, as we
>seem to be so technology-oriented mover here.
>
>Pam Hirsch, RN,BSN,IBCLC
>Clinical Lead, Lactation Services
>Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital
>Barrington, IL   USA

Over the years, I have noticed that more mothers use pumps these days
than before, but my impression is that most women in the UK don't
possess a pump unless they have had a baby in special care or if they
intend to go back to work when their baby is still quite young, or if
they have major problems with latching the baby on, or a baby with a
cleft etc etc. A number have a pump for convenience, but I would say
most people don't use it very often. A popular baby book here
recommends expressing daily from the start, but even the people who
follow the book don't seem to do this very much.

Pumps are advertised in the magazines and the vol orgs have agents
who hire them,  but most of our hirings are to mothers whose babies
are in special care.

The word we use is 'expressing' and we tend not to say 'pump the
milk' which probably reflects the lesser emphasis on the equipment. A
few women hand express, and they are supposed to be taught how to do
this in Baby Friendly hospitals, but most women are given a leaflet,
if that. I can understand that there isn't a good opportunity when
most women are in hospital no longer than 2 days.

Midwives tend to teach mothers not to express before 4-6 weeks, while
we (vol orgs) are not as prescriptive as this. I do ask mothers why
they want to express, and point out that there is often no real time
saving, if they express to get a longer sleep (someone else feeds the
baby EBM), this is not good physiologically for the breasts or milk
supply.

My personal feeling is that learning to hand express is a useful
skill which supports long term breastfeeding, and it's handy for
mothers to know how to do it, as over the length of time they might
breastfeed, there are bound to be some occasions when someone needs
to give EBM....there is no real need to buy or hire a pump to do
this. There is a technique to hand expressing, and when women 'can't
anything out by hand' they are almost always  helped if they are
taught to do it differently.

I would hate it if the use of a pump was thought to be indispensable
-  we are not at that stage here. Note also that few women go back to
work, even part time, before about six months, and our maternity
leave provisions are improving all the time.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK