From:
Mark Thistle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 17:11:05 -0400
Hi
Thanks in advance to anyone who might offer suggestions!!
I have a mom who is very successfully nursing her 6 week old.  Gaining
beautifully and happy and healthy.  Mom is soon to go back  to work and
has started pumping.  She wasn't getting any thing at all so came in to
see me with pump and baby in tow.  She has large breast and nipples and
a PumpinStyle original by Medela.  In front of me 45 minutes after
nursing she quickly pumped 40cc with no discomfort and was thrilled.
She had never pumped with the baby close by and thought that might have
made a difference along with me cheering her along.  She had already
ordered large and extra large flanges for her pump so we figured with
that extra help she would be fine.  Well, we spoken twice and she has
times that she gets 2 oz and sometimes less than an ounce.  She has used
the larger flanges, pumped with baby with her, pumped before nursing and
can't get a consistent amount.  Today she was talking about just doing
formula because she thought she wouldn't have enough.  I suggested Fenu
Greek or Mother's milk tea but supply has not been a problem when baby
is at the breast.  She would rather not give formula and going into the
fall season I really want her to give only breast milk.
Any suggestions?  She goes back to work end of September and will need
to be gone 9 hours.she can pump at work but currently it takes 40
minutes for a little amount so she is getting frustrated.
Melissa Thistle CRNP (hoping to hear good news in Oct!!)