From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Aug 2005 22:24:17 -0700
Diane Weissinger said:

"The reason is a comment I remember from someone years ago that if you want
to change a person, it's best to be like him in every way except the way in
which you want him to change."

.and I have to agree and give an example - in all my years of educating and
observing others educating health care professionals I have never seen
someone as effective as Carol Melcher (I hope some of you saw her
presentation at ILCA).

I've been learning from her, and I've observed her using her methods of
actually AGREEING and coming CLOSER to those who say things that are
negative about "baby friendly" or breastfeeding.

For Example: a nurse says "I can't do all that care - I'm too busy charting
and making sure the baby lives!" and Carol gets closer to her and agrees
"Yes, it's true - you have a VERY important job and you MUST assure the
baby's life above all." and then is quiet.  Usually the other members in the
audience mention how THEY have been able to assure baby's life AND allow
skin to skin - or the person herself says "well, I guess I COULD give it a
FEW MINUTES."

If we just ARGUE with the nurse and say "yes you can!".she just pulls back
and says "no I can't" - but by getting closer to her position, they can
often find a way of collaborating and problem solve.

It may take a lot of self-control to agree - but you may find that in the
end, you've created an ally instead of an opponent.

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
Vacaville, California