From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2005 17:37:09 -0500
Karen, sometimes babies are smallish when they are not getting enough
hindmilk. They will have green stools and low weight gain. We are more used
to the fat babies who have lots of spit up or colic signs.

If this is truly a case of low supply, I would suggest mom try nursing two
times on each breast during one feeding. Like do the right for 10 minutes,
switch to the left for about 10 minutes or when baby stops actively sucking,
then go back to the right, and then the left to top off the baby. Keeps them
alert and maybe getting more hindmilk (fat). Mom can also massage her
breasts or do breast compressions to increase the fat intake while baby is
nursing.

I hear all the time that mom says she has a poor milk supply because baby is
fussy during and after feedings, always hungry, etc. and it usually is
overabundant milk supply that mom doesn't recognize. Baby is miserable and
shortens feedings because the let down is so great. Or fusses afterward
because the flow was so fast they didn't get to comfort suck.

Test weights will confirm intake at the breast. With overly abundant milk
supply, the intake is extremely large in just a few minutes.

Babies can also have green stools from food intolerance, dairy comes to my
mind. It is hidden in everything (casein and whey are the by products used
in processed foods).

I have also worked with a baby who had green stools when mom was on
antibiotics. Once she stopped taking them, normal stools began.