Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Pam Hirsch, RN, BSN, CLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:03:24 -0400
Hi, Wendy:  Interesting that I should see your post today.  I just sent a
mom home yesterday who was born without her right forearm and hand.  Her
arm ends just below the right elbow.  She wears a vinyl prosthesis that
allows the hand some pincer grasp, but that is all.  She is not able to
pull her arm/prosthesis into her body very far.  She needed minimal help
with positioning her baby.  The system that seems to be working for her is
for her to use cross cradle or side-lying on her right side.  Baby seems to
understand even this early on that he needs to co-operate and help his mom
to help him.  Thus far she has no other issues and I anticipate that they
will do well with nursing.  I did suggest to her mother that she buy her
daughter a sling so that she can have her hand free to do other tasks.  It
was a pleasure working with this family and interesting as well. Mom breeds
horses for a living and is planning on returning to work when her baby is 2
months old.  He will be able to go to work with her, so she does not
anticipate having to pump very much.  We discussed using one of the hands-
free bra devices for the times she will need to pump.  We also discussed
lactation in horses and she told me that the minute the foal is delivered
the clock starts ticking - if the foal is not to it's mother's teat and
receiving colostrum by 3 hours the foal will die.  She always keeps frozen
colostrum on hand for those foals that may need it.  She breeds expensive
racehorses, so there is a huge financial incentive to get horse babies to
their mama's "breast".  I reminded her that she already knows all about
lactation and the process is very similar for her and her baby.  I have her
permission to share her story with you.
I did post this before, but an excellent resource for helping parents with
disabilities is Through the Looking Glass (www.tlg.org).

Pam Hirsch, RN,BSN,CLC
Clinical Lead, Lactation Services
Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital