From:
Price Pamela B <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:20:20 -0500
My client yesterday has a 10 week old. This baby had a tongue tie, and just got her frenulum clipped on Friday. She has been congested often since birth, I was thinking it might have something to do with the tongue tie.

 Long story short, the nurse at the pediatrician office (not who did frenotomy) told mom last week, that she should use saline drops for her baby's nose, but NOT to use the bulb syringe to suction out after because suctioning would just upset the baby more and the saline needs to stay in there to thin mucous.

Ok, I thought that yes, the saline is for thinning the mucous, but since the baby can't blow her nose, how will she get the mucous out other than it running down her throat or if she happens to sneeze?  She is so "snotty" sounding, and I think her congestion is why she is so fussy at night, and keeps popping off during feedings.She doesn't have an ear infection.

 I worked in an ENT clinic about 8 years ago and we use to tell patients to use saline drops, apply several in one nostril, bulb suction and don't over do it, only suction if you are getting results. Then saline the second nostril and bulb suction. For severe cases we recommended following up with a few drops of saline in each nostril after.

Is there some contraindication to use a bulb for a healthy 10 week old infant who has sinus congestion?

Thanks all for recommendations.

Pam Price IBCLC, RLC, LPN
Lactation Department Coordinator
Charleston, SC, USA