From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 23:44:21 -0600
This may be the study that was reported:

http://newswire.ascribe.org/cgi-bin/behold.pl?ascribeid=20050726.090800&time=10%2026%20PDT&year=2005&public=0

Tue Jul 26 10:26:46 2005 Pacific Time

      Breastfeeding Soothes Baby, Mom; Douglas Hospital Research Shows
Benefits of Breastfeeding on Mental Health
       MONTREAL, July 26 (AScribe Newswire) -- Moms, want to lower stress?
Try breastfeeding. New research from the Douglas Hospital Research Centre in
Montreal shows mothers who breastfeed respond less to stressful situations
than those who bottle-feed their children. These findings suggest these
mothers may be better able to care for their children.

       "It has been well established that breast milk is the best source of
nutrition for infants - it is beneficial to their physical and mental
development," says Claire-Dominique Walker, Ph.D., senior investigator and
director of the Neuroscience Research Division at the Douglas Hospital
Research Centre. "Our work now shows that there is a reciprocal benefit of
breastfeeding to the mothers - they react less to stressful situations. This
means they will focus more on their children and have more energy for
activities such as attending to their infants and producing milk - this is
an obvious gain for the children."

(see link above for full news item)

Janice Reynolds