From:
sheila stubbs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 May 2005 13:19:12 -0400
I think of weaning as being similar to what I went through when I broke both
my legs in a car accident. At first I totally relied on others to help me do
something I couldnt' do for myself. Soon  I was able to get on my feet and
use crutches (the beginning of weaning - starting solids). But I couldn't go
very far. What if someone had decided that since I COULD walk, I SHOULD
walk, and refused me my crutches? (sudden cold-turkey weaning)

Giving up those crutches took a long time. (You could say I was overly
attached to them!) There were days when I could walk ok without them but
then I'd get tired and have to rely on them again. Even when I could walk
better, I still didn't want to get rid of my crutches yet! (the toddler who
stills takes a quick nurse once every few days). Eventually I realized I had
no use for them, tried them once for the fun of it, (the weaned child who
asks to nurse again!) and then got rid of them for good.

Sheila Stubbs