Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 21:45:04 -0500
>  Is there in
>fact, a way to take Vit D  supplementation without taking a multi vitamin
>complex?  Any  suggestions?  Thanks, Ann Conlon-Smith, IBCLC, LLLL

Yes, there is Vit D supplementation that does not include other
vitamins.  My adopted, African-American twin grandbabies are given Vit D by
puncturing a gel cap of the vitamin at 200mg a day. We live in Milwaukee
which is a mid-latitude city with a low angle of sun rays in the winter
months. The parents get the gel caps at a health food store and is a
reliable brand.

In the summer months they add 25-30 minutes of sunlight a day (without sun
screen) so that they can reap the health benefits of sunlight beyond what
just vitamin D supplements offer.  There are many benefits of natural
sunlight and our health is compromised when we do not take advantage of it.

Sunlight does not cause skin cancer, sunburn does.  "Sun abstinence" is not
a healthful  approach to dealing with the thinning of the ozone layer.  We
need the healing powers of sunlight but not the damaging powers of
sunburn.  We can be selective and responsible about what time of day we are
in the sun without sun screen.

I have had many clients whose infants were sickened by the use of
multivitamin supplements (often including iron and fluoride) as early as 4
weeks. Infants who need a vitamin D supplement are not well served by the
pushing of a combination of un-needed vitamins and minerals all of which
compromise their healthy intestinal flora.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin