From:
Ann Conlon-Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 21:57:49 EST
I am besides myself with a case of a mom of two month old who has met more
challenges than most, beginning with sore nipples, questionable milk supply,
significant PPD which she and her OB husband refuse to treat, fairly fussy
baby,  etc.  Despite all of this including an unsupportive husband and an
overbearing mother, this mom has hung on and breastfed her baby throughout it  all.
He is gaining, peeing and pooping normally.  Today, she took  baby to
pediatrician because she found blood in stool (no bleeding nipples) and  this doc whom
she had never seen before told her to "wean for two weeks because  your baby
is probably allergic to breastmilk, and then in two weeks you can go  back to
breastfeeding.  Just pump and dump for a couple of weeks."   The mother is
panic stricken (even more than usual!) and I am at a loss  here.  I feel that
this abrupt weaning would be very detrimental to this  mother and baby and the
addition of formula in place of breastmilk would be  quite caustic.  The baby
does have foul smelling diarrhea now as well, yet  is happy, no fever, etc.  The
mother eats poorly if at all, by the way, due  to the depression.  It is all
very complicated but I cannot imagine adding  in pumping 10 times a day and
having a screaming, weaned baby as well.  I  have suggested that she insist on
breastfeeding until they get results of stool  culture.  Also, I have asked her
to try removing all dairy from her  diet.  I have checked archives on this,
but have not found anything  relating exactly to this type of situation.
Please contact me off list,  because I think I am still nomail.    Thank you, Ann
Conlon-Smith, IBCLC, LLLL