From:
Renee Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 04:02:41 EDT
With all the talk about the Iparenting partnership with  Enfamil, (I wrote a
not so happy letter to them months ago when their  "partnership" was announced
in my inbox", I was wondering how many of you have  heard or seen the series,
"Birth Day" and "Babies Special Delivery" on  TLC?  I watch the series with
interest, and watch to see how many are  bf.  I hate to say that I think I can
count on 1 hand the amount of bf  babies that are shown...even at initiation.
Of course many of these babies  are "high risk" deliveries...many are
preterm.  With all the research out  there, I am not understanding why bf is not
being initiated at these large  hospitals used in the program.  Almost without
exclusion a mom is feeding  her new baby with a bottle of formula, and formula is
what is being used in the  tube feedings of the preterm infants.  I have also
noticed how many  "Carnation Good Start" formula commercials run during the
broad cast and am  wondering if this is playing a role.  Many pg friends of
mine on line and  off line watch these shows religiously and I fret over how many
of them seem to  feel abm is the way to go.  Does anyone know if there is a
way to write to  the producers?  Is anyone out there willing to write one of
those awesome  letters?  I don't feel my credentials are enough to convince
anyone to  change their ways of thinking and was hoping some of you may have some
ideas.

Thanks for listening
Renee Drake RN CLC