From:
"Henry, Felicia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 09:16:05 -0700
Just my quick take on these two topics.  While some moms can do great with
the PIS - others will need the big rental pumps.  I have seen both.  One mom
who returned her classic and was using the PIS advanced ended up with a huge
oversupply after a few weeks on the advanced (we had to work on lowering her
supply to meet her baby's needs - he had finally gotten to breast but was
being flooded and she was constantly engorged).  Another mom who was pumping
and not noticing any difference in supply after a week switched to the
classic and by the evening of the first day was getting almost double the
amount (from 20 cc per day to 40 - 45 cc) and was still building.  My advice
to moms who are using the PIS - that if they aren't seeing more milk or it
starts to drop they need to seriously consider getting a rental pump.

As for the hospital nipples - also being a cbe I had the formula company
that supplies these send me some for demo's in class.  I noticed that the
red premie nipple and their regular newborn nipple have 1 hole that you can
see, but when you squeeze the nipple and really look there is a cross-cut in
it.  You know how most nipples on the market have the cross-cut "for thick
liquids, juice & cereal", these have them for the regular formula.  I also
feel these come in handy for the peds who like to test if moms have enough
breast milk, they shove this nipple in the baby's mouth (remember the
rooting reflex) and twist the nipple until baby sucks (remember the sucking
reflex) and when the baby "gulps" down 1 - 2 oz proclaims mom doesn't have
enough breast milk since the baby is obviously still hungry (yes this has
happened here a few times).  So I use these demos to show parents that is
why babies will drink so much - they have no choice if they want to breath.

Just my observations & humble opinion.

Felicia Henry
Oxnard, CA
CBE & hopefully sitting for the exam this July