From:
Judy Le Van Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 May 2005 08:36:25 EDT

Susan Burger wrote:

I have  no idea if he really meant this as a metaphore for Esau outward
appearance  later in life as the physically stronger of the two (and here his
apparently  stronger suck while nursing which may actually have been that jaw clamp
to  compensate for low oral tone) while in the end Jacob, the apparently
gentler  of the two, ends up
being the stronger in reality in the end.

This actually fits in well with what we know about motor skills, I think,  in
the sense that
normal, fluid, efficient action is often done with less force and effort,
while weakenss or lack of coordination requires pulling in more muscles,
different ones not necessarily 'designed' for the task, straining, etc in
compensation. When a baby is clampy at the breast, sometimes it seems because  they are
not using the tongue efficiently, they pull in the perioral muscles,  which
do not have the subtle range or the ongoing stamina of the tongue at its
normal best, leading to both painful nursings and fatigue issues/never-satisfied
syndrome...
Interesting thread, thanks Susan,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL, Brooklyn, USA