From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 11:27:46 -0500
Here is my take on the issue of corporate sponsorship of research. Yes, it
is a fact of life because who else is going to pay for this kind of
research?

BUT, my concerns are over the ethics of presenting research along with
advertising the sponsoring company's product. I think the American culture
has gotten so used to advertising and hard salesmanship that they no longer
recognize it for what it is.

We are skeptical of, and pick apart, formula manufacturers' research, so why
are we not skeptical of, and pick apart, pump manufacturers' research?

I believe we should be skeptical of a product that is found to be "so great"
when the research is sponsored by the company that makes it. I also believe
we should be skeptical of any researcher that presents materials to
advertise for the company that funded his/her research.

Being skeptical doesn't mean we automatically discount such research. It
means we take a hard look at every aspect of it and judge it fairly -- not
just swallow "the party line." We should expect researchers to tell us up
front who is paying the bills. I remember the Avent research on the Isis
pump a few years ago and people seemed to understand this issue then.

But now in some circles merely bringing up the issue of being skeptical of
corporations sponsoring research that ends up giving glowing reports on
their products brings anger or blank looks from other IBCLCs. The likablity
of a corporation seems to have clouded many IBCLCs' thinking.

I am not saying the recent research isn't valid. I am saying take a second
look at how it is being presented, what information is being given, and the
ethics involved.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC