From:
Karen Dugas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 17:40:23 -0700
Hi all,

Since recently there have been posts asking about a
photo of a good latch, I thought I'd share (I hope
this is not repeat info; if so, my apologies): the
World Health ORganization (WHO) has a photo story of
six mothers who are pregnant and giving birth from
different countries around the world, called "Great
Expectations."

http://www.who.int/features/great_expectations/en/index.html

Click on the third set of photos called "When a Child
is Born" and then it should automatically bring up the
first page about Damiana from Bolivia. There is a
close-up of her son nursing at the breast with a
fantastic latch.

The whole photo story is addictive - maybe because I'm
8 months pregnant myself? But all the stories about
the women in the various countries and the various
levels of prenatal care available to them (plus their
workdays as laborers and mothers of other children)
really put a lot of things in perspective for me in
thinking about the upcoming birth of my second child!
I really am fortunate!

Enjoy the photos and the stories.

Karen Dugas
MPH Candidate 12/05