From:
Beth Fitzpatrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 09:24:24 -0700
I work at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital (Stanford) in Palo Alto,
CA.  We get babies from around the world in our various departments.  The
NICU itself has two family rooms that families can reserve to sleep in
overnight with private beds, sink, etc.  I don't know the exact policy, but
I know that for these rooms families with a dying baby and/or from out of
the area are given priority.  This also allows privacy to allow the parents
to be with the baby after support is removed until death, similar to being
at home but with medical personnel close for support when it happens
:(.  Aside from those rooms, there is a lounge with two couches that fold
out as beds, which can be used by whoever gets them first at night, as well
as a shower room.  There are also cushy regular couches throughout the
hospital, and while sleeping on them is not encouraged, many people do
it.  We are only a couple of miles from a Ronald McDonald house, though, so
I know many families are able to use that resource as well.  In the actual
NICU, screens are used for privacy, and parents are allowed 24 hours a
day.  On the other units, with the exception of PICU and CVICU, every room
had a day bed for ONE parent to room in with the child (two day beds for a
double room).  These are actually rather comfortable.  Hopefully this
helps.  I don't know of anywhere that would or COULD allow actual "rooming
in" for NICU babies, just due to the necessary medical equipment and
constant monitoring.  But I think what our hospital provides is the next
best thing to that.

Beth, mommy to six, including 17 month old nursling

>Kia wrote:
>I am seeking information about NICU's anywhere in the world that "allow" =
>rooming in  for babies and mothers at any level of neonatal care.

"When in despair, remember that all through history the way of truth and
love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time
they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall." Gandhi