From:
Rachel Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 01:16:40 -0700
Dear All

I have searched the archives and have found some help
there, but thought it might be all right if i
consulted your collective wisdom and experience about
the whole picture.

I am a doula working in rural Ireland. There are no
LCs nearby and the nearest LLLL is two hours drive
from the mother in question and cannot visit until the
week-end.

I have permission to post.

Mother gave birth via c-section ten days ago. Feeding
has always been painful. I saw her today for the first
time post-partum. We worked on mother's posture to
help acheive a better position for Baby to latch.

Baby's lips are not flanging and Mum's nipples are not
lengthening in the course of bf. I suspected a short
fren - tongue is not tied completely, but tongue is
not covering gum and cupping nipple when feeding.
Mum's nipples are quite short and her nipple does not
come out lengthened after a feed. I did not observe
any clicking during feeds. Baby is gaining weight and
seems reasonably satisfied during feeds - typical
sucking and swallowing observed.

Mum has had painful nipples since the beginning - one
is cracked and had bled, but is healing - and when I
pointed out that the baby's tongue wasn't covering the
gum tocushion the nipple, Mum said that she could feel
the gum crunching her nipple. She has been in tears
several times with the pain of feeding. When I was
leaving today, i suggested a trip to the doc to have
the tongue checked out and Mum said that the feeding
wasn't as painful as it had been. I know that any pain
is unacceptable and wonder what I can do to help with
the latch.

I do hope that all is clear from this post and welcome
any input. I am due to see this dyad again tomorrow.

Thanks.

Rachel Martin