From:
Karen Koss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:17:16 -0400
Dear Colleagues,

This question was just forwarded to me from a peer counselor. She is an
experienced and knowledgeable peer counselor, who knows how human milk can
differ in appearance.

Any suggestions on how to respond to her?

Karen Koss
Michigan USA

What makes a mom's breast milk clear?
I have had 3 different moms ask this question. These are moms who were
established nursing moms, who were
regular working pumping moms. All of a sudden they will pump clear milk.
Nothing separates after sitting, no color.
It usually only happens to one side and only for a day or two, but last week
I had a mom who it's her 3rd child with past BF experience, found that her
pumped milk for an entire week was clear and from both breasts. The baby was
terribly fussy, lost a whole pound and she panicked and quit bf. She kept
saying that her milk looked like it did when she use to leak
at the end of her pregnancy. What causes this?

Thank you and have a great week