From:
Kimberly Radtke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 14:06:09 -0400
Pamela,
Your thinking is correct. Cows and other animals (including a recent study
showing whales in Puget Sound (WA)) have chemicals/toxins in their bodies.
Many of chemicals BIO-ACCUMULATE up the food chain. Babies (in utero and
breastfed) are at the TOP of the food chain and during these stages of
development are MOST sensitive to harmful chemicals (more sensitive than
cows, and adults).

We have experienced angry feedback from Lactnet readers both via Lactnet
and via personal email. When very bright professionals respond with anger
and accusation, we know there is confusion about the subject and the work
we are doing to educate the public needs to continue.

Studies in animals have shown serious health effects of PBDE's (flame
retardants) even at low exposure levels. These animals suffer progressive
memory impairment and behavioral problems. Similar effects from PCB's have
been found in both animals and humans. (PCB's are similar in structure to
PBDE's and were banned in the 1970's).  We were recently accused of
referring to THEORETICAL risks of toxins in breastmilk. I’d like to clarify
that we are following the PRECAUTIONARY PRINCIPLE, which in summary, states
that where there is some evidence of serious harm final definitive proof
should not be necessary before action is take to protect human health.
Precaution is especially important when the health of children is
threatened. Children are especially vulnerable to health threats from
environmental hazards.

Scientists have found that levels of PBDE's in American mothers' breastmilk
are 20 to 40 times higher than in Japan and Europe. Studying breastmilk
does not mean that there is greater risk to babies from breastfeeding.
Scientists study breastmilk as a way to measure chemicals in all people for
a number of reasons.

We are currently developing a brochure aimed at educating the public
(specifically low literacy mothers) about harmful chemicals AND about the
protective factors of breastfeeding. We state in our brochure that in
breastfed infants, 96% of exposure to PBDE's is from other sources besides
breastmilk. Babies are exposed to harmful chemicals whether or not they
breastfeed. We also state that current research suggests that breastfeeding
leads to very little extra exposure but has many health benefits.

We say more in the brochure, including how to decrease one's risk to many
harmful chemicals. The brochure and other information about chemicals and
important reasons to breastfeed will be available via our website in the
fall. The brochure will be in English and Spanish and written at a low
literacy level. I will post on Lactnet when this is available however,
given all the response my recent posts have generated, if readers would
like to be notified personally when the materials are available, please
email me directly.

Pamela, thanks for your post and for thinking out-loud. It gave me the
opportunity to provide more information.

Kimberly Radtke, Program Coordinator
Breastfeeding Coalition of Washington
206.281.8032
www.hmhbwa.org