From:
Christine Pillado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2005 10:26:29 EDT
In a message dated 5/4/2005 7:44:35 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

His birth weight was 7 lbs even and she has  not had a  follow up
>weight (peds appt. tomorrow) but seems to think he is   gaining weight.  He
is
>alert and active when awake, nurses readily  and has  no signs of
dehydration.

Mom is only pumping about one oz or less each session with a PNS.  She  told
me that last night she pumped a little over 2oz. but only 1 oz again this
morning.  She is supplementing him with ABM (about 2oz each feed).

What  would they be looking for at this stage? How would it help this  mother?

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor,  UK

The labs would look for an elevated level of testosterone which could be an
indication of luten ovarian cysts.  Some studies have indicated that if a
woman has elevated testosterone and delayed lactogenisis II there  is a
preliminary diagnosis of luten ovarian cysts.  There are cases  where they cysts
resolve post-partum and once the testosterone levels  fall the woman then goes
through lactogenisis II.  This can  take about 30 days.  If that is the case with
this mother then we have good  reason to continue to encourage her to pump and
put the baby to breast in the  hope that she will, eventually, produce a full
milk supply or close to a full  milk supply.
If the labs come back showing normal hormone levels then we look at other
causes; latch, infrequent pumping etc.  I am not advocating for lab  work for
every mother who has a low supply.  This mother has never had  any breast
fullness with a term baby.  Even if she NEVER breastfed or  pumped one would expect
her to have some breast fullness and leaking in the  first week post partum.
Is there any evidence of no changes in the  breast during pregnancy and no
breast fullness post-birth that would lead one to  say that this is only a "poor
latch, poor transfer, infrequent pumping"  problem?
I do not understand a HCP who does nothing to encourage a mother to develop
a larger milk supply.  Even if the OB did not think that labs were  warranted
why would he not refer her to a LC or start Reglan or some other  course of
action that would encourage this mother to continue to provide ANY  amount of
breastmilk for her baby?
The breastfeeding rate here in El Paso is below the national rates for the
US.  The state of Texas has the highest uninsured population (medical
insurance) and El Paso (a city in Texas) has the highest uninsured population in
Texas.  We can little afford to not to encourage breastfeeding let  alone to not
support those women who do choose to breastfeed.  There  are pediatricians here
who tell mothers that breastfeeding should not be longer  than 6 weeks, that
breastmilk is poisoning their babies (i.e.  hyperbilirubenimia) and the like.
Not to say that there aren't HCPs who do  everything in their power to ensure
a woman is successful with breastfeeding but  they are very few and very far
between.
Lizabeth Berkeley, MPH, IBCLC and Christopher Powers, MD and I taught a  five
hour course this past Saturday on The Art and Science of  Breastfeeding.
Last year 60 area nurses attended.  This year about 80  area nurses, WIC
nutritionist and mid-wives attended.  Not a MD among  them.  It is incredibly
frustrating.
My reaction on this case is not just this one mother but many, many mothers
I have worked with who receive poor or worse, plan wrong and harmful,  advice.
 Those of us who support breastfeeding must first undo the damage  done and
then try to establish the right, evidenced based information as the  proper
course to take.  And try to do this without undermining the HCP or  directly
contradicting what they have told this poor mother.
I am hoping that, some day, a mother tells me that her OB was aggressive
about finding the cause of low milk supply and not that he doesn't really care
to pursue ANY course to improve her situation, or at the very least, get her
some answers.
Thanks for listening to me rant.

Christie Pillado
El Paso, TX