From:
Fiona Dionne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:40:56 -0400
Hi, I have been talking with a woman on a messageboard who seems in
desperate need of help.  She has a very non-bf friendly doctor (she is
with the military and says she can't change) and has an 8 week old baby
who is BELOW his birthweight.  Poops have been very scant but she didn't
say his pees were limited.  The Doctor though, is giving her all sorts
of bad advice like pump and give formula, or "if you MUST breastfeed,
only do 5 minutes per side"...I told her she should see an IBCLC to make
sure he is getting milk transfer going on and then work towards giving
supplement via SNS if she needs to supplement.

I don't think it's really kosher to give links to the messageboards on
another "public forum" (since I know you can't search for the messages
on that messageboard by google) but if there is an IBCLC in or around
Houston (where this woman lives) who could e-mail me privately I'll put
her in contact with you ASAP.

Oh, by the way, this is her 3rd child.  The first was a slow gainer who
was breastfed without supplements (or not enough to make him wean) but
she was living outside the USA until he was 18 mos old.  The 2nd was
also a slow gainer who ended up on formula eventually.  But this one has
not gained and she IS worried, but the Doctor is giving her flack about
needing to test her milk quality rather than evaluate what is going on
with the BABY.

Thanks in advance!

Fio