From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 09:34:06 +1100
I would suggest that the below website does not contain evidenced based
information about relactation/induced lactation but rather detail on a
particular way of doing things (which may or may not be useful but you won't
find information about side effects, a discussion to assist in deciding
whether it's suitable or accurate information on other ways of doing
things... what I'm trying to say is that it's one sided).
There is very little in the way of research in relactation/induced
lactation. Of what research there is a summary can be found at
http://www.who.int/child-adolescent-health/New_Publications/NUTRITION/WHO_CHS_CAH_98_14.pdf
in the WHO booklet on Relactation. This is an excellent booklet and while
written for health professionals the language is not difficult and many
parents also find it helpful. Last year I had a review published in
breastfeeding review that looked at the research and attempted to propose an
explanation of why there are great differences in milk making success
between studies in adoptive breastfeeding and that may also be helpful. It
was published in Breastfeeding Review.
Karleen Gribble
Australia