Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 00:20:04 EDT
The one thing that surprises me about all of these pumps is that many moms
are using them and are not using the correct size breastshield. The size is
either too big or too small. This can decrease mom's milk and get very
frustrating. There are many moms that are just pumping and not breastfeeding at  all.
Many are at work all day and need that pump to work efficiently. Then the
moms are blaming themselves for the loss of milk supply.

Just this week I had two moms call me and say they had to stop nursing
because their milk supply was not very good. I asked mom #1 if she wanted  to meet
and maybe we could figure out why she was getting such a small amount of  milk
(maybe an ounce at a time). I watched her pump with a Lactina. Mom has very
soft breast tissue. Baby is 2 weeks old and is not latching. Baby is getting
formula in a bottle from hospital that pours out! The baby does not have to do
 anything to get formula. The bottle issue is another post! The nipple just
puffed in and out of the shield. It was small puffs and was not being drawn
into  the shield anywhere near enough to be able to draw out milk.  I switched
her to a smaller opening breastshield. The first time she tried this she  got
more milk than she had in a week of pumping. I am also having her put some
water or a drop of oil around the opening to get a better seal.

2nd mom was having a lot of pain when pumping but thought this was what was
supposed to happen. We switched her size to the extra large flange. Again,
this  made a difference.

I would love feedback from others that have been seeing this. I know the
pumps come with one size but, as we know, those breasts out there (and nipples)
come in all sorts of sizes.

Annette Leibovitz, IBCLC, LLLL
Buffalo Grove, IL