From:
Lee & Karen Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:53:00 +1300
Hi Molly,

I am from New Zealand and probably don't have the risk management issues
that you would experience. However the policy of informed  choice and
consent still remains.  We often use a consent form for the use of formula
supplements, dummies, nipple shields etc.  This way the staff are obliged to
give good reasons for offering the above, they protect themselves with their
practice and the mother hopefully feels fully informed.

I use the argument  in hospitals (and I am not sure it is  a good one), that
if we treated breastmilk like we treat IV drugs we would give it a lot more
respect!

We seek written consent before a general anaesthetic right?  And mostly
general anesthetics are quite safe BUT every now and then something will go
wrong with them or someone will have a severe reaction.  Best we know that
risk beforehand!