From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:02:36 -0500
Nikki, some very interesting thoughts.  When picking out the best fit video for a class, I guess one would need to know about the cross section of their population to determine if a particular video was the best at that time.
I wanted to comment about a couple items you brought up.
The first is on cultural beliefs.  When does something fall into the category of "cultural vs out dated" or "in my time?"  I was working with a mother who has been raised in the USA but her mother is from Haiti.  She starts off by telling me she will be breast and bottle feeding because that is what is done in her culture.  As we talked and she asked questions of her mother I was thinking of what my mother did 54 years ago.  What makes something "cultural?"  Because generations have done things and pass them down does not seem that should be under the category of cultural.  Educating parents and grandparents I think is the best approach and using peer counselors.
If I followed what my mother was taught my children would have received a home made formula from evaporated milk, being started on solids at 3 weeks and given large amounts at one time.
The other item on bonding.  I like this term but if you feel there are others that fit better you should use them.  I don't see enough bonding and am still trying to get the staff to understand why it is important not to interrupt.
The last item is breastfeeding looking blissful.  You will never see a picture or video of a mother bottle feeding looking tired or stressed.  The stresses of life can certainly be discussed but I don't think showing a picture or movie of this is needed to make the point.  Breastfeeding in the early days can be relaxing and looking at a mother and baby just sleeping together is a priceless picture.
Looking forward to others' comments.
Ann Perry, RN IBCLC
Boston, MA