From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:31:33 EST
I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with an article in the Sept 2002 Journal
of Midwifery & Women's Health on post partum depression by Kennedy, Beck and
Driscoll?  I am not able to access more than the abstract which doesn't give me
the information I need.  In this article there is, according to a midwife
colleague, the recommendation for women predisposed to depression to have six hr
of uninterrupted sleep on two non-consecutive nights per week, starting around
the second week postpartum for several weeks.  Pumping is evidently suggested
so Dad can give a bottle during this 6 hr stretch.

This approach would seem to likely interfere with the establishment of
breastfeeding on several levels and I'd like to know if anyone has seen this used
and what the outcome was in regard to breastfeeding.  I understand the link
between sleep deprivation and depression, but think there are other ways of
prevention less likely to interfere with breastfeeding.  Comments?  ( Am planning to
get the article next week)

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC