From:
Fiona Dionne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:31:44 -0500
Hello,

This is SLIGHTLY off topic, but...a number of months ago, I wrote
requesting videos to show in my english prenatal class (breastfeeding
segment) in Québec city.  I got a number of replies (for which I thank
everyone again, who replied), and there is probably one we will order.
 HOWEVER the movie the french classes are showing was made in Québec and
they have just recently found the funds to translate it.  They are
planning on also distributing it to be shown in the rest of Canada and
on TV I gather, in the USA!  I was surpised that something from our
little area seemed so popular...but I digress.

The big discussion now is HOW it should be translated.  My experience as
someone who was raised in an english society, is that dubbed movies are
extremely annoying.  Any foreign films (including québécois ones) we
used to get in Vancouver were almost always (I'd say 95% or more of the
time) subtitled.  I would much rather watch a subtitled movie than spend
my time being annoyed by the fact that the mouth doesn't move in time
with the words.  Also, in the classes I am teaching, out of the couples
I have, usually at least 1 out of the 2 of them is francophone, so that
person would understand it just fine in french and the other person
could read along in english.  However, there is the possibility this
could be made into a DVD someday (for now it's just on VHS tape) and if
that is the case, they could take a dubbed movie and add both english
and french subtitles so that both can be used as is desired.  So there
are a number of options.

My question is, for those of you who use videos in your classes, if
there were a video you liked but could either have dubbed or subtitled,
what do you think would be most appropriate for a breastfeeding class?
 These people are obviously there to learn, so they might not want to be
reading along, and then on the other hand, if they are like me and might
be bothered by the dubbing, might find it easier to concentrate on
reading.  Hard to know.  There is not a lot of physical "showing" of how
to breastfeed in this video, since the characters are played by a man, a
lady, and a DOLL for a baby.  ;-)  It is more of a skit that shows just
how trying it can be for someone to breastfeed in today's society where
they are told numerous myths about how they need to drink milk to make
milk, how they couldn't possibly make enough because "no one can" etc.
so people don't necessarily need to WATCH the movie in order for it to
make sense to them if you know what I mean.

Interestingly, I had a call from one of the participants in my first
class (back in november) who called me tonight asking for information
(her newborn is now 5 days old) and I asked HER what she thought, she
said she would prefer a dubbed movie.  But I would appreciate getting
more people's opinions.

Thanks very much and sorry this is slightly off-topic.

Fio
Mama to Sandrine, 4.75 and Nyssa, 2, tandem nursing
ressource person with Allaitement Québec