From:
Peg Merrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 13:54:28 -0500
I think Marsha is right on target.  The IBCLC credential is not a guarantee.
I can give two examples in the hospital I work at of nurses who worked in
NICU, peds, or nursery who simple counted their working hours and took the
test.  That way they get an extra $200 certification bonus and more initials
after their name which often helps with promotions.  They do not have the
committment to breastfeeding that others of us do.  Most of us who are
"committed" had original contact or breastfeeding intros through LLL, but
one of the LC's is very big on sleep training.  We all approach things
differently, sometimes getting different results.
WIC is mostly an educational setting.  They don't do any hands on helping of
actual mothers and babies - at least in Maryland. I worked for WIC for over
10 years, and it was always more important to keep the numbers up than to
actaully help people. It,like many other business, was about the money.  If
you didn't have high enough enrollment figures you didn't get as much
federal or state money. It does concern me that many WIC IBCLCs might know
the information, but not be able to put it into practice. Taking a test is
one thing, being able to help a baby who won't latch or isn't sucking is
another.  Where I worked the solution was simply to give the mom more
formula.  I actually got reprimanded for spending too much time with a
breastfeeding mother who had questions.
Figuring out a solution is going to be difficult.  There are no easy
answers.
Peg Merrill, BS, IBCLC