Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 13:36:01 -0600
I wanted to wait until I had some final results in front of me before I
posted.  It is benign :).

The lump original shrank in the first 4 days, but held steady at 2 cm so we
did an incision based on it's location and shape.

Everyone at the hospital was incredibly breastfeeding friendly.  My 1 year
old accompanied me to the hospital and nursed right up until the procedure
and immediately when I woke up.

It retrospect a drain tube would have probably aided healing, but for now we
are doing prophylactic antibiotics and allowing the breast to remain
unstimulated.  The "engorged" situation appears to be resolving extremely
slowly on its own.  When I go in for my follow-up I will speak with the
doctor about the use of drain tubes in future patients.  I don't think that
they have a lot of experience with lactating breasts and the desire to
prevent MER post-surgery as opposed to having a plan in place to deal with
it seems to be not infrequent at this hospital.

I don't have the lab report in front of me and will be interested to see
what the official diagnosis is.

Thank you everyone for your good thoughts, information and support!  Being
an experiential learner I can say that this has broadened my knowledge base
immensely LOL.

Jessica Mattingly M.Ed, CCE, CBE, LLLL
Kansas City, MO