Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 06:16:57 +0000
Esther
I experience a similar scenario here but no where near the large no. of
dyads per staff. I feel for you. I think hospital LC'ing is the hardest, and
seems more so in a situation like you are in. So the solution is not going
to be easy. Of course, the suggestions on having moms taking care of own
babies are great. but this will take lots of time. If you are in charge, do
you have any real power? Can you mandate a policy change of any kind to
reflect more baby friendly policies?

Are there televisions in any rooms? Are the pts in a large ward? Is there a
central area where they come for classes? Could you run a good video
repeatedly? I often envision a big room where moms can come and sit with
their babies and learn as a group about bf positions, latch, etc. In the
U.S. this is not culturally accepted. Private rooms are the norm here.
Everything is pt privacy and confidentiality.

If there are no prenatal classes that is a good thing to implement as well.
If you can't change the hospital culture, can moms come back in on day 3 or
4? Again, you could run a large clinic twice a week or so. Of course, you
may not have staff for this, but maybe???

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA