Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 11:31:32 EST
My hardest decision concerning this matter has to do with the ethical role of
an IBCLC issuing formula packages.  As our code of erthics clearly state, we
as IBCLCs are to ahere to the Code as it applies to health care workers,
specifically 7.4.  At what point do we as IBCLCs take a firm stand with our
employers and refuse to comprimise our professional ethics at the risk of loosing our
jobs?  We are supposed to support eachother and work together
(administration, nursing, physicians) to provide health care services to all.  But one
profession does not seem to have respect for the ethics of the other.  What is the
purpose of a code of ethics if at any time an administrator can simply dismiss
it as insignificant, not to mention the impact on the IBCLC being asked to
ignore it?  How do we succeed in getting people to understand the principal at
issue here?  I am so conflicted.  On the one hand I teach the women in the
prenatal class about the importance of breastfeeding and the hazards of formula
then turn around and see these same women in the hospital after delivery issuing
a formula package??  Where does my professional credibility go from there?