From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2005 16:34:24 +0100
According to the Norwegian Food Portal, a state-run website from our food
safety agency, the following guidelines are currently in place for
breastfeeding mothers:
All farmed fish (I am assuming they mean Norwegian) may be eaten, regardless
of type and size.  Shellfish, fish liver, and certain types of fish may be
contaminated with environmental toxins.  Those to avoid are:
Freshwater fish of the types pike, perch over 10 inches long, trout and char
over 1 kg (2 lb 3 oz).
Fish liver.  Breastfeeding mothers should also not eat the sandwich spreads
Svolvaerpaté and Lofotpaté, which contain a lot of fish liver.
Crab innards from the shell.  White crabmeat from the claws and the shell
can safely eaten.
Exotic fish: shark, swordfish, skate, and fresh tuna.  Canned tuna is,
however, safe.
In addition there are certain areas with high pollution levels in which no
seafood is safe; these places are posted on the environmental protection
website (in Norway - they don't monitor foreign bodies of water).

Pharmaceutical grade cod liver oil contains very little toxins and is
approved for use by everyone, including pregnant and BF women.
Lactnetters may or may not be amused to know that breastfeeding women are
advised not to eat whale meat because it may contain high levels of mercury,
and seagull eggs, because they have high levels of dioxins and PCBs.  These
are foods traditionally consumed by the coastal population and I have
personally eaten both of them when I have been served them while visiting
friends, though not while pregnant or breastfeeding.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway