Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:47:33 EST

Phyllis  says:

<<BTW: The  majority of patients in my hospital are low to very low income,
but WIC never  comes here trolling for clients. To my knowledge, they don't
go to any  hospital in my city. They do provide the standard WIC information
brochures  and contact information. I give them out to our NICU moms so they
can see if  they qualify to borrow a breast pump, and I tell the moms that
there is a BF  Counselor in every office.>>

I'm puzzled.  How  could anyone from WIC come into the hospital and give the
patients free  formula?  To give free formula to all the WIC moms in the
hospital on a  given day would require that she run a little golf cart up and down
the aisles  of the hospital.  She couldn't carry that much.  Personally, I'd
love  it if WIC would come to our hospital trolling for clients.  I think that
should be done.  It would be better even if it were one of the peer
counselors who could introduce herself, make sure the mom knew about the WIC  program,
that they are there to help her breastfeed, and make sure she gets her
vouchers for extra food that WIC bf moms are entitled to, and even set up her
first appointment so that she doesn't have to take a newborn out in our January
weather in a week to get certified.  It's much easier to call a peer  counselor
or an IBCLC at the WIC office if you've met them first if you have  problems
breastfeeding.

Of course, not every state  has 57 IBCLCs in their WIC program like the state
of Indiana does (YAY for  INDIANA!!) -- but even so, every office should have
someone knowledgeable about  breastfeeding and should be able to get started
with the moms in the  hospital.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC
Wheaton IL -- the state that DOESN'T  have 57  IBCLCs!
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com