From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 00:21:06 +0100
One of the reasons we request that subscribers not advertise their
breastfeeding-related livelihoods is because so many of us have such
businesses, and we don't want to use Lactnet to try to outshine each other's
adverts for them.  As it is, there are plenty of subscribers here who forego
the free publicity it would give them and simply participate on the list,
sharing freely of their knowledge so that all subscribers may benefit.
Lactnet is really a labor of love for the subscribers as much as for the
listmothers.

A URL or two or three with your website(s) in your sig line is not going to
incur the dreaded cyber-wrath of the listmothers.  Announcements for
conferences will get you a polite private e-mail reminding you of the
guidelines.  Lots of us have learned this bit of Lactnetiquette by trial and
error.  Offering services for money on LN, or just making an appeal for
funds, is simply on the far side of what the guidelines permit; there have
been exceptions and these have usually been cleared with the listmothers,
but not always.  One example that was cleared with us was when Gail Hertz
was selling out some damaged little green books.  Another was Arly Helm's
offer to send copies of recordings of her radio broadcasts.  Maybe these are
not principally different from when people don't ask, and just post directly
to the list, but that small act of asking up front, rather than apologizing
after the fact (or, one notch worse, disregarding the guidelines and NOT
apologizing) makes a lot of difference to us.  We listmoms are human, after
all, and we like feeling acknowledged and respected, much as I'm sure all of
you do.

I for one would not like to see every Lactnet post accompanied by a sales
pitch for this or that course, or pump rental, or breastfeeding support
service.  The URLs are not a problem.

Rachel Myr
For the listmothers
Kristiansand, Norway