From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 09:38:27 EST
I have emailed Hale, Nice and Newman re the following but thought maybe
someone else could also give me input for the following.  Mom has severe hives and
itching due to post viral infection immune response (she's an MD, internist so
knowledgeable about her condition).  Her allergist prescibed benadryl 200
mg/day and zyrtec 40 mg/day to suppress the histamine response; this may take
7-10 days.  (mom has had this condition once before necessitating ER treatment
due to respiratory difficulty, so this is serious)  I read Hale's info to her
and both are listed as L2, but dosage of zyrtec is not as high as she's getting.

She is breastfeeding 2 1/2 mos old, has small amt breastmilk avaliable, but
will need to use AIM as she's been told she cannot breastfeed with dose of
meds; she plans to express her milk during this time.  Any suggestions?  Any
experience with high dosage antihistamine use such as this?  Thanks.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC