From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:59:29 +1100
The following is an excerpt from an article in the English verstion of the People's Daily (China). Everyone wants a piece of that huge market :-(
Infant formula and health care are extraordinarily expensive in China.
Karleen Gribble
Australia

http://english.people.com.cn/200412/02/eng20041202_165924.html

      How do you raise a child in today's China?

      At only eight months old, my son has been driving us toward bankruptcy. At the same time, he has kept us haunted by a sense of guilt. Sound impossible? The following is my story.

When he was six months old, I was told by the doctor to adopt bottle-feeding, as beast milk is no more nutritious after six months. So I spent about 800 yuan (US$96) for milk powder, 100 yuan (US$12) for Niuchuru (a cow's first milk used to improve immunity), 100 yuan for fish liver oil and calcium, and 150 yuan (US$18) for supplementary food every month.
He has been to hospital quite a few times. He has never been seriously ill, but as soon as we heard him sneezing or sniffing or having a poor appetite or developing a skin rash, we rushed him to hospital. Doctors are very thoughtful and considerate, and every time they prescribed a large quantity of medicine. My home has been well stocked with mountains of drops, capsules and tablets enough that we may be able to run a drugstore for children.