Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 09:42:29 EST

Gonneke  says,

<<Recently, a  Dutch researcher presented a study that indicates that alcohol
during pregnancy  and lactation is worse than untill now presumed. She
advises absolutely no  alcohol whatsoever during pregnancy and no breastfeeding
during 3 hours after  each glass of alcoholic drink (so 6 hours after 2 standard
glasses of wine or  beer, etc). Habitual (daily) drinking is discouraged.>>

Gonneke, what were the  results of the study?  What did she mean by "worse
than until now  presumed?"  I'd be curious to see the study -- although if in
Dutch, I'm  afraid I'd be out of luck!  I harken back to the days when in order
to stop  preterm labor, we ran alcohol IVs on the moms in L&D, and if the mom
thought  she was in labor, but wasn't sure, a glass of wine was recommended --
if it  wasn't labor, the contractions would stop and she'd have a nice nap --
if it was  labor, (full term) it didn't do anything.

By the way, I agree that  the more we prohibit things, the less likely the
mom will be to breastfeed --

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, Wheaton IL
_www.lactationeducationconsultants.com_
(http://www.lactationeducationconsultants.com/)
"I  would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there
isn't,  than live my life as though there isn't, and die to find out there
is." -  Pascal